Saturday, October 13, 2018

Chapter 3 Ronald McDonald House

As I awaited getting discharged from the hospital I had gotten a referral from my doctor to stay at the Ronald McDonald house. Several years back when my niece Serina was in the hospital at PCH my brother was offered a stay at the House but unfortunately they were all full. My mom worked hard playing phone tag and making sure everything was set in stone by the time I got discharged. We gathered all of my things and away we went.

It had been a long day and we were both tired. I was wondering how LeiLani was doing and had wondered when I could go see her. My doctor from Logan had prescribed me a medication to help with my postpartum drama and getting it transferred to the pharmacy here successfully was very difficult. It finally came in and was ready and my mom was my hero as always as she fought for everything she knew I needed. We got checked in and was given a rather quick tour of the whole house and I just wanted to go to bed. Laura stopped by to give me a replacement bra since she bit the last one off of me during labor.

The house is big and is laid out like a hotel. There are four floors and a gorgeous kitchen. The first floor has the lobby and several couches to sit on. There's a giant fish tank full of large fish and each one has a name given by kids who have stayed there. Down the hall they have a gym, laundry room and a theatre room. They provide soap for laundry and have movie nights several times a week. The second floor has the kitchen and space for seating. Outside of the kitchen is set up like a living room with a fireplace and has some computers to use. The kitchen is equipped with stoves, ovens, refrigerators and cutlery. There is endless supplies of food that is donated from the Mormon food bank and other donations. Everything that goes into this place is purely from donations. It is amazing and it really is a home away from home.

They like to encourage a community based space so there are no T.V.'s in the bedrooms or food. You have free range to the whole house and I like to see families sitting together getting to know other families and their hospital stories. This place stretches to PCH so if you are there while your child is having surgery or something you can go down and get food or take a nap. Your key card that you use to get into your room is your access card to the hospital rooms as well.

During our tour I got a phone call from an unknown number and almost didn't answer because my phone was at 1% battery. I answered it anyway just in case and it was Primary Children's wanting my consent to admit LeiLani. I worried my phone would die while I was answering questions and thankfully it didn't. I missed the rest of the tour but would later explore alone. I am grateful for a place like this! A place where I can stay to be as close to my NICU babe as possible.

"The house that love built."

No comments:

Post a Comment